Monday, October 12, 2015

Culture Shock

Here's Nicole's latest email home!
She's doing well in her new area, despite
how much different it is than what she's
used to. Read what she says below!

"Hey everyone!!! 

    I survived my first week in Pullman!! Haha, going from a teeny tiny Branch in a town that's in the middle of nowhere to a college campus with thousands of people my age on it is quite the culture shock! But, this means there are many adventures up ahead for Sister Ashby and I! 

     Sister Ashby is 19 and she's from Pocatello, Idaho! She's been out 3 months and she's great! :) I like her a lot. We have a lot in common and we get along well :) When we got to our area on Tuesday,we were very pleased to see that the elders before us left the area nice and organized. I was VERY appreciative of that! This whole week we spent trying to get to know the area. It's so weird being surrounded by so many people. What's even weirder is being on a college campus! Haha, it's fun though. 

     So...Pullman 2nd, Married Student Ward is a difficult ward to serve in. To qualify to attend our ward, the couple has to be married and have kids under 7. Needless to say, we have a tough time trying to find people to teach and are focusing on the members. Our members are absolutely wonderful! It's weird to think everyone in my ward is just a few years older than I am, but they're so supportive, encouraging, and helpful! I love seeing these younger people be so strong in the gospel despite their crazy lives. It gives me comfort and hope for what post-mission life can offer me. And we do have some investigators! There's a Brazilian couple we get to work with (we're actually meeting them for the first time tonight). Their names are Dierlie and Gilberto! It's hard to pronounce them, but we're working on it! They know English well, but, surprisingly, there are many people in the ward that know Portuguese that can help if there's something they don't understand. I'm excited to meet them! We're also working with a part member family, the Weeds. Alice Weed is a returning less active member and Jesse Weed is her husband whom we're working with. We had one lesson with them and I just fell in love with the family! They have an adorable little boy (whom I wish I could hold!) and they are just an awesome family! Upon our first visit, we taught them the Restoration and started basic! They are wonderful and I'm excited to work with them more :) 

      Ooooohhhhhh...guess what??? One of my zone leaders, Elder Jones, is from ALLEN TEXAS! That's so close to home!! It's a small world!! It amazes me how many people I meet who have connections with myself or someone that I know. It just adds the cherry on top to missionary work :) 

     That basically sums up my week. It was quite the change, but I'm so excited to see how the Lord is going to shape me and work through me for the benefit of this area. I know that Joseph Smith was called of God to restore Christ's church. I know that the Priesthood (power, or permission, of God for men to act in Christ's name for our benefit) is found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and that it is a huge blessing to everyone. I'm very grateful for all that I have! The Church is true! 

 I hope you all have a wonderful week! Love ya'll! 

Sister Wilson"


Sister Killian, a member in Nicole's branch, made her
brownies for her birthday :) 

Nicole's zone back in Ritzville 

Pretty scenery 

Nicole's zone back in Ritzville 

Nicole's zone now. She's in the Moscow University Zone
and travels to Moscow, Idaho often. Her church building is
about a minute past the Idaho border. 

Nicole with Sister Ashby (: 

Part of campus. Nicole says she'll send more pictures of
campus next week....hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment